A housing fight is brewing in the eastern Bronx as city officials move forward with an ambitious rezoning plan to allow 7,500 new homes to be built near a set of Metro-North stations that are currently under construction.
The long-sought transit plan, called Penn Access, would add four new stations in the Bronx along an extension of the New Haven line that would bring Metro-North service to Penn Station. City officials aim to pair the initiative with new housing and commercial construction near two of the stations, at Parkchester and Morris Park.
But during a City Planning Commission hearing on the rezoning plan on Wednesday, several local residents declared: not in my backyard.
“It seems that the excitement of what the two Metro-North train stations will bring has taken a backseat to housing and overdevelopment that will forever change the characteristics and landscapes of four neighborhoods,” Bernadette Ferrara, a former chair of Community Board 11, said during the hearing.
Ferrara worried more housing would come with traffic, congestion and excessive noise in the Bronx’s Van Nest neighborhood. She singled out Baker Avenue, where the proposed rezoning would allow for the construction of 398 units along what she called a narrow one-way street that she claimed doesn't have enough street parking.
“This project is much too large and needs to be scaled down to less than half of its current size in Community Board 11,” said community journalist Robert Press. He argued the area needs more police and better sewers to handle a population boom.
Press also said many Bronx residents cannot afford fares on Metro-North trips, which officials expect will save residents upwards of 30 minutes on their commutes compared to their current, cheaper subway and bus options.
Most speakers at Wednesday’s hearing supported the rezoning proposal, which includes 1,900 units of affordable housing and 1.2 million square feet of new commercial space. And the measure is backed by some of the Bronx’s most powerful politicians.
“This project is not just about transportation, not just about four additional stations in the East Bronx, but it really represents an incredible once in a lifetime opportunity to expand many of our communities, to add additional value, and to really drive smart economic growth,” Bronx Borough President Vanessa Gibson said during the meeting.
The MTA project also includes the construction of stations at Hunts Point and Co-op City, but the rezoning proposal doesn't cover those areas.
Transit officials previously estimated the new rail link would be finished in 2027, but MTA spokesperson Joe O’ Donnell cast doubt on that date during Wednesday’s hearing.
“Obviously, we are developing and constructing this project inside the existing Amtrak right of way, so we're contingent or beholden to Amtrak for access,” O’Donnell said. “So there may be updates on that schedule to come.”
The service will rely on tracks on the Hell Gate Bridge — which is also used by Amtrak — to take trains from the Bronx into Queens and then into an East River Tunnel en route to Penn Station.
The $2.8 billion project has already faced delays due to disagreements between the MTA and Amtrak.
The City Planning Commission is expected to vote on the housing proposal in the next few months. The City Council would then have to approve the plans before they go into effect.